New for November – NaNoWriMo – freestyling with spoof sci-fi!
After several fails and a hiatus in 2016, I have decided to do NaNoWriMo this year, this time with conviction. Actually, two convictions:
- to reach the 50,000 word count (I have only made 20-35,000 for a few years running and it was setting a bad precedent)
- to finish the story, more or less within the 50,000 (the last time I won NaNo I was only a third of the way in)
In order to manage the two aims I am going to write something pacy, and hopefully funny, that has character development and revelations but no lengthy soul-searching, multi-stranded plots, or complex psychological challenges. More an animated movie than War and Peace. As per usual I came up with an idea only a few days before November 1st, this I do to stop myself over-investing before I even begin, and this year it was provided by my Best Beloved.
Provisionally entitled, ‘Rabbit Attack!!’, this will be a zany tale of aliens invading and allying themselves with the Rabbits of the Earth against Humanity.
No, seriously, that’s as much as I know at the minute. Well, a few more pointers I have are that the aliens will enable rabbits to speak, and today I know that the first character I will introduce will be a young woman with crazy- frizzy blonde hair. I’m looking forward to satirising life a little, and to explore inter-species communication.
Nothing like a challenge!
Today I have only written 278 words. This is not a raging inferno of typing, but I’m already having fun and ideas are bubbling nicely for tomorrow. Today’s work was writing the Disclaimer, as a sort of foreword, in the manner of those at the start of films:
- The story, all names, characters, places, products and incidents portrayed in this novel are products of the author’s imagination or are used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, rabbits, and aliens, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
- No person, rabbit, or other entity associated with this novel received payment or anything of value, or entered into any agreement, in connection with the depiction of rabbit pellets.
- Although the author and publisher have made every effort to ensure that the information in this book regarding alien threat was correct when going to press, the author and publisher do not assume and hereby disclaim any liability to any party for any loss, damage, or disruption caused by errors or omissions, whether such errors or omissions result from negligence, accident, or any other cause.
- No information in this book is intended as a substitute for the medical advice of a veterinarian. All rabbits should regularly consult a veterinarian in matters relating to his/her health, particularly with respect to any symptoms of alien influence or possible mutation.
- Depictions in this book are meant to supplement, not replace, proper training in living with rabbits. Like any hobby involving speed, teeth, nails and communication challenges, bunny wrangling poses some inherent risk. The authors and publisher advise readers to take full responsibility for their rabbit’s safety and know their own limits. Before practicing any of the (non-violent) rabbit-handling skills described in this book, be sure not to take risks beyond your level of experience, aptitude, genetic mutation, training, and comfort level.
- No rabbits or aliens were harmed during the conception, researching, and writing of this novel.